Tilly and the Buttons Dominique Skirt
Sew your own Dominique skirts - the ideal project for a novice stitcher, or a satisfying one hour make for more experienced dressmakers.
Tilly designed the straight skirt to be super simple for beginners. It features straight seams to practise your stitching and an elasticated waistband for an easy fit - with no fiddly zips or buttonholes! Choose from knee length or above-the-knee hemline, and add the optional turnover top patch pockets.
The flared version of the skirt is slightly more challenging, as it's cut on the bias and we suggest a drapier fabric for a flowing silhouette. Choose from knee length or on-trend midi hemline, with optional turnover top pockets, belt loops and elegant sash.
Like all Tilly and the Buttons sewing patterns, Dominique includes instructions in plain English, helpful sewing tips, and colour photos showing you each step – making it easy for you to create gorgeous clothes you can be proud to say you made yourself.
Multi-sized pattern in sizes 1 to 8. For Tilly and the Buttons' size chart, see the last image
Tilly and the Buttons has three difficulty levels: 'beginners', 'confident beginners' and 'improvers'. This pattern is rated 'beginners'.
- Medium-weight woven fabrics, such as cotton, chambray, double gauze, linen, lighter weight denim and needlecord.
- 150 cm-wide fabric: 1.1 m
- 115 cm-wide fabric: 1.5 m
- Light- to medium-weight drapey fabrics, such as cotton lawn, chambray, viscose (rayon), silk or polyester crêpe de chine. Avoid anything slippery if you’re a beginner!
- 150-cm wide fabric: 2.5 m
- 115-cm wide fabric: 3.1 m
- you'll need slightly less fabric if you're making the knee-length version and/or are omitting the sash
Thread; your waist measurement in 25 mm-wide elastic; 14 cm of 4-7 mm-wide ribbon or two elasticated hairbands (optional - for belt loops)